Friday, February 5, 2010

I'm Still Here!

Hello faithful readers.  Sorry I have not been a faithful blogger.  After Passport ended, things seem to have stayed really busy and I just haven't made the time to write in a while.  Not to say there's nothing to write about - I have lots of ideas, it's just a matter of getting them out of my head and onto this blog!

In the meantime, I thought I would post a quick update.  We are now wrapping up the third week of fourth period, which is hard to believe.  Two more weeks and then we are testing once again!  Classes are going pretty well, and I'm hoping to continue to see improvement in my students throughout this semester.  More than anything, I hope to see increased critical thinking.  I just want my students to think about what they're doing, not just to do things because someone else said to do so. 

Last week (Jan 25 - 30) was spent in Ghana, another West African country about 2 countries east of Liberia.  Ghana has not had the setbacks caused by civil war that Liberia has experienced, so Ghana is more developed than Liberia.  We (Ann Elizabeth, Ottolee Menjay and me) spent the week in the capital city of Accra, which is actually really really big!  We flew in at night and AE and I were amazed by how far the lights stretched out over the land - as far as we could see!  Sadly, on the way to the airport to leave for Ghana I started feeling bad and by the time I went to bed the first night felt awful.  Turns out I had Malaria, which sounds very scary and can be if not treated, but is not too bad when you are quickly treated.  So I went to the doctor and was tested and treated the next day, but much to my frustration, I never did feel 100% while in Ghana, resulting in a less adventuresome spirit and far fewer "I want to see and experience everything" activities.  On the bright side, it could have been much worse and I was able to see a good bit of the city.  In places it looks much like Liberia, but in other places in looks more like an American or European city.  There are multi-lane, wide, nicely paved streets and an advanced system of traffic lights, roundabouts, highways, etc.  We even got to go to a mall one day, do some shopping, and see a movie in an actual movie theater!! 

The other downside of the trip to Ghana was that at the end of it, Ann Elizabeth had to go back to the States for a few weeks.  While in Ghana she was able to see a doctor about a small problem she noticed, and the doctor recommended she go back to the States to see another doctor and possibly have a small procedure.  So AE is now back in FL/AL and getting things taken care of as quickly as possible.  She is doing fine, and the problem is not an immediate danger - just something that needed to be taken care of.  She should be back here in Liberia by Feb. 22nd at the latest, but perhaps even sooner if possible. 

In the meantime, I am back at Ricks and finally getting back in to the routine of teaching, basketball, and everything else that goes on here.  We had a basketball game yesterday which we won - due to forfeit, but we won all the same ;)  There was a group here from First Baptist Columbus, GA from Jan. 25 - Feb. 3, so I was able to spend a little bit of time getting to know them.  One member of the team is actually staying for 2 additional weeks, so I think we will help to keep each other company while we are each living on our own!  Currently I am very grateful it is Friday and am looking forward to a weekend of rest and fun as I spend a couple days in town with friends. 

I will try to update more - thank you all for sticking with me through this journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment