Friday, November 27, 2009

Birthdays Aren't The Only Things That Can Be Belated

So Happy (belated) Thanksgiving to you all!  I had wonderful intentions for a cliche Thanksgiving blog in which I wrote in length about all the things I am thankful for and included a few sentimental notes about all of you.  However, lack of internet yesterday precluded any such blog from ever being written.  And now that it's the day after Thanksgiving, I couldn't possibly say thank you to anyone... ;)   

In all seriousness, I admit that Thanksgiving day was a bit lack-luster for me.  Like anyone else living outside of the States experienced, Thanksgiving was just another day.  I went to school, taught classes, gave quizzes, graded, tried to use the internet, ate some bread and nuts for dinner, and had an all-around ordinary day.  I have been battling a cold for the last week-ish, so I spent most of the day just trying to get some rest and feel better.  I did get to call home and talk to everyone who went to my house for Thanksgiving, so that was fun.  Otherwise it was an average day. 

But what is Thanksgiving really supposed to be about?  I admit that I have never conducted a thorough study of the first Thanksgiving and don't claim any historical fact to what I am about to say.  But my understanding of Thanksgiving is that it was a day when two groups of people, formerly enemies, set aside their differences - at least for one day - to come together and celebrate that which they both needed and received... food from the harvest.  I imagine, like many Thanksgivings all across America, there were akward moments at the dinner table.  I imagine there were some people who didn't get as much corn as they wanted, or whose favorite kind of pie was gone by the time they got through the serving line.  Perhaps some people wished they could be present for the meal but were kept away for one reason or another. 

I certainly missed Thanksgiving, and missed being with my friends and family (and delicious food) on this special Thursday.  But maybe it's a good reason for me to think about what really makes Thanksgiving day a day of thanks.  If it is about setting aside differences and finding common ground with people, perhaps I'm celebrating Thanksgiving each day I am here in Liberia.  If it is about being grateful for what you have been given even in the absence of things you wish you had, this is a lesson I am being taught daily.  If Thanksgiving is an occasion to look for the goodness in others and celebrate possible alliances, shouldn't we all be celebrating every day? 

I miss turkey, and mashed potatoes, and stuffing, and green beans, and warm rolls and pie... but maybe this year will help to make Thanksgiving each year to come a bit more meaningful and help me to remember the true spirit of Thanksgiving every day in between. 

No comments:

Post a Comment