Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Best Part of Waking Up...

Is Starbucks in my cup!!

This morning, for the first time in about 2.5 months, Ann Elizabeth and I each enjoyed a delicious cup of coffee.  We both became fairly addicted to coffee within the last couple years (me because of graduate school, Ann Elizabeth because of early teaching mornings), but had not had the opportunity to have any since we arrived in Liberia.  Yes, there is a coffee maker in our house, but I've heard rumor that using it is apt to trip the power for multiple locations on campus, so we'd rather not use it than take that risk!  In any case, it's good to have a reason to kick the habit... although I'm sure I will pick it up again when I'm back in the States :)

This week has marked the first arrival of another group from the US at Ricks since our arrival; 4 men from El Dorado, Kansas.  They arrived at Ricks late Wednesday night, left early Thursday morning to travel to another county, returned early Sunday morning (just in time to go to 2 church services after a sleepless night on the road!), and will be here until Wednesday afternoon.  They certainly have a busy schedule while they are here, but we were able to have lunch with them on Sunday afternoon.  While we were eating, they presented us each with a gift - Starbucks instant coffee mix (enough for 3 cups!!), jellybeans, and some hand sanitizer/lotion from Bath & Body Works.  These small gifts made a big impact, and it was nice to have a little taste of home (literally!).

After buying some sugar and milk at the store yesterday, we woke up this morning, boiled some water, and each made a cup of coffee.  We didn't have school today (county-wide holiday for the Montserrado county senator elections), so we were able to have a leisurely morning, sipping coffee and just sitting in bed.  It was lovely.  It's the little things that help us feel connected to home and brighten our days!

I can't believe I just wrote an entire blog post about a cup of coffee.     

1 comment:

  1. I have actually been drinking more warm, unsweetened tea in the office than coffee...shocking, I know.

    Still, I have had coffee at a little more frequency in Groningen than you have, but I still find it funny that "2 cups" of coffee is still smaller than a tall coffee at Starbucks...but whatever. I just make coffee at home to my own strength and amount--problem solved. :)

    ReplyDelete