Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Applying Myself

Pausing from updates about my Liberian adventure for a moment, I wanted to update you all on another part of my life that has been on my mind quite a bit lately... what happens after Liberia.  Many people hesitate to ask me the "what comes after Liberia?" question for fear that I have no idea and will be stressed out by this question.  But fear not, I have an answer!!  This plan has actually been in the works since before I found out I was even coming to Liberia. 

Here's the plan: I'm going back to school... "because I want to know what the 19th grade is like."  I knew when I entered the Master's program at Wake Forest that getting my PhD would be the next step; it was just a matter of figuring out where I wanted to go and what exactly I wanted to do.  I'm happy to say that I did get this "all figured out" during graduate school, so my decision to take a year off and come to Liberia instead of continuing on to school immediately was a hard decision to make.  I know I did the right thing, and know that Liberia is where I am supposed to be right now.  But, I also feel confident that being back in school is where I need to be next year. 

Sadly, going back to school is not as easy as just deciding to go.  It seems you actually have to apply to go back and then hope someone actually accepts you... go figure ;)  Right now I am in the midst of the application process... I am applying to nine schools and have completed 5 applications.  Over the half way point!  At times I really enjoy the application process - it's fun to think about all the different places I could end up next year and the various things I could be doing.  At other times, however, the process drives me crazy, as it does everyone who goes through it.  Between application fees (ouch!), internet outages, and endless writing and re-writing of personal statements, it can be a bit stressful.  Thankfully I have my mom back home helping me mail all of my "hard copy" materials (thanks mom!).  But thankfully the light at the end of the tunnel is growing closer and closer... then it's time to let the waiting begin!

At this point you may be asking, "OK, so what do you want to do?"  I am applying to community psychology and applied research programs.  Basically, community psychology goes beyond the individual level to examine more contextual factors - cultural, economic, political, environmental, etc. - and to attempt to address social problems and promote positive development through working with individuals, organizations, communities, governments, etc.  So in my future career, I could take an issue such as poverty, conduct research to answer questions about poverty (what puts people in poverty, what keeps people in poverty, how can people get out of poverty, what effect does living in poverty have on individuals) and then apply the knowledge I gain from research to actually help people and try to alleviate poverty and its detrimental effects.  I could work in a government, social service, or even public policy setting.  I know, it's pretty exciting!! 

As far as the schools I am applying to go, here's the rundown: University of Virginia, Georgetown, University of Michigan, New York University, Michigan State University, University of Illinois at Chicago, Vanderbilt, NC State, and Penn State.  I have some favorites in there, but I would be happy to go to any of those schools!  So, although I certainly have a plan of sorts for next year, I have no idea where in the world I'll end up.  Applications due dates range from Dec. 1 to Jan. 15, and then I should start hearing back sometime late February or March.  I love where I am right now, but am also excited to see what the future holds.  I will keep you all posted as I begin to hear back from schools and make some big decisions!   

No comments:

Post a Comment