Tuesday, September 1, 2009

It's Back to School Time!

Today was our first day of teaching, and it has been quite the eventful day! I'll try to hit the highlights!

First day. School starts at 7:30AM with the raising of the Liberian flag, recitation of the pledge of allegiance (almost identical to US's pledge), and singing of the Liberian national anthem and the school song. From there, the students move in to the auditorium for some hymns and morning devotion, along with any other announcements. Today's assembly was extra long... usually 1st period starts at 8:15, but we didn't get out of assembly until about 9:20.

Pause. At one part of the assembly, all the teachers and staff members were called up to the front of the hall to introduce ourselves. About 3/4 of the way through, I was certain I was going to pass out. My vision gradually faded to white and my ears slowly plugged so I could only hear muffled noise. Somehow, with intense concentration and the backing of your prayers, I found my way back to my seat. This scene was followed by a series of me thinking I could just feel better, finally asking the nurse for help, being taken out to have blood pressure taken, and finally given some oral rehydration salts. I'll spare you the rest of the yucky details. I'm still not really sure what happened... maybe just dehydrated? In any case, I'm feeling mostly better (back to 80% I'd say!), and trying to eat and drink more. Suffice it to say, it's not how I planned to start the day, and was frustrated with my body. I'm having to learn that I am not, in fact, Liberian. Just because my fellow teachers don't constantly drink water (or can drink unfiltered water) and can eat without wondering if the food will make them sick doesn't mean I can... I know, this is obvious. But I'm stubborn and don't like it, but today was a good lesson - I can't do what I'm here to do if I'm not at my strongest. Wrist = slapped, lesson = learned (at least for the moment).

Luckily, the assembly was long enough this morning for me to feel well enough to go back to class and not have to miss anything!! Classes were smaller than anticipated - only about 24 in each (instead of the expected 35!) - although we're told more will show up tomorrow. However, the periods felt SO much shorter than I ever imagined! Each period is 40 minutes, then the bell rings and the teacher changes classes, with no break between... so you're either late to one class or ending one early. Between introductions, getting some basic info from the students, assigning books, and sometimes beginning to review my syllabus, there wasn't time for much else! I think once I go through the schedule a couple times, know for sure where all my rooms are, and learn the students' names, I'll feel much better! Not a bad day at all though - the students are great (junior high students are the coolest), and really, nothing went terribly wong!!

After school and a quick moment to recuperate, Ann Elizabeth and I headed into Monrovia with Ottolee Menjay to run some errands (we needed groceries!). While out, we stopped at this cute little stand attached to the back of a hotel on the coast. Ottolee bought us each a coke (I drank soda! haha), and then we ordered a griled fish. Which, in true Liberia style, is literally a whole fish, head and all, served with pita-like bread (pretty common here), plantains, and cucumbers. Also in true Liberian style, it was spicy yet delicious. This whole stop felt like a bigger event in my mind than it sounds here... but I think I really just enjoyed sitting outside at a table under a Coca-Cola umbrella, hanging out and eating fish.

OK, nothing else too noteworthy today. But I'm glad to be through day 1, and looking forward to day 2 of classes! Please continue to pray for connections with the students, both in the classroom and outside, for learning names, and that I would stay strong and healthy. Happy September everyone!

PS - Hilariously, we were front page Liberian news this morning... check it out at http://liberianobserver.com/node/1206

No comments:

Post a Comment