Monday, September 21, 2009

Hang On, Let Me Get My Mean Face Out...

Today I had to do what I imagine no teacher ever really wants to do... send 5 students to the principal's office.  While grading my Bible assignment yesterday, I noticed that I had 3 "sets" of answers.  Now, Bible homework is not hard.  I ask the students to write one paragraph (at least 4 complete sentences) about a given topic.  The present item asked them to write about how they respond to the knowledge that they are fearfully and wonderfully made.  How does it change you life to know that God made you special, and loves you just the way you are?  Suspicisouly, there were three sets of copies (i.e., 6 students, but only 3 different answers among them).  The dead give-away was when two "different peoples'" assignments were done in the exact same handwriting and handed in together.  Not good.

Ricks has a very strict honor code, and cheating is grounds for immediate expulsion.  I knew my students did not deserve to be expelled, but I knew they must face consequences.  I also knew that Olu know when to grant grace to the students.  Had this been an exam, they would have been expelled; but for homework... well, expulsion would have been a bit severe.  So my students marched straight from class this morning (yes, first period on Monday... ouch!) to the principal's office.  Their parents will be called, they will all receive a zero on the assignment, and there will be some other to be determined punishment. 

As I'm sure most teachers feel at this point, I am more disappointed than anything.  It's an easy assignment, and probably takes just as long to copy someone else's as to do your own.  I'm certainly glad the students won't be expelled, and I'm fairly certain no one else in the class will try to copy (especially after a word from Olu with all the "caught" students standing beside him).  I had one student raise his hand after they were sent to the principal and ask me, "Can't you just forgive them?"  After my heart broke just a little, I told him of course I could, and that as people I did forgive them; however, as my students, there must be consequences for their wrong-doings.  I just hope to continue to build relationships with my students, especially the 5 who were punished, despite and maybe even because of these events. 

2 comments:

  1. Holly, I have been to Rick's twice on educational mission trips. You are brave and blessed. Not a day goes by that I do not think about the wonderful people of Liberia, They get under your skin. I will pray for you and Ann Elizabeth and read your blogs. As I have read your entries I have cried and smiled. God bless you both. Please tell Monen and Jannie hello. Also I sponser Boikai Sando, so keep an eye on him.

    Paula Thompson
    Columbus, GA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly, I'm catching up on all of my reading now...I've read most of the September postings at this point, and am keeping on reading. You did the right thing. And you will build the relationships. Your students have to see that they need to respect you, and keeping your standard does that. What you did was the right thing.

    Love-Megan Kash

    ReplyDelete