Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I Heard it at Ricks...

The view from my front porch this morning... you can't see it as well as I hoped, but that's blue sky and sunshine out there!! The first morning I've woke to such a sight, and it was beautiful.

I've had a few conversations lately that made me smile, so I thought I would share some with you so you can get to know a few of the people I cross paths with daily here at Ricks.

Mr. Carpenter. Mr. Carpenter has a degree in biology and teaches junior and senior high science. On our way to town the other day, he caught a ride with us to go visit his brother in Monrovia. AE was with Ottolee in the front seat, and Mr. Carpenter and I were in the back. We talked about how school was going, the students, etc. We talked about his family, and his love of teaching. But we also talked about sports - how sports are different here or there (US). He was amazed that not many people in America care about soccer (aka football according to everyone else in the world!), and said that the US team is really good! We talked about Michael Jackson, and how the Liberian people love him (did you know he wrote a song called "Liberian Girl"?) and watched the events of his passing unfold. We talked about 9-11 and how, amidst their own civil war, the Liberian people watched the events unfold that day and wondered what would become of America, a country they love despite feeling that America let them down by not intervening sooner in their civic strife. Mr. Carpenter asked me if I ever think about what happens when we die. Of course... don't we all? It was a very real, interesting conversation, and I was glad to have the long ride to town to get to know one of my colleagues just a little better.

Mr. Sompon. Mr. Sompon is the agricultural studies teacher here. He has a small science lab in the lower level of the school, but he has to walk through my 8th grade class to get there... so I see him almost daily. Yesterday he stopped as he was walking through and asked to see me after class if I had a minute. Even though I'm a teacher, I still felt like I must somehow be in trouble. In fact, Mr. Sompon wanted to show me his lab. It's a few tall metal science tables, some books, and some posters. They are so eager to improve the lab facilities, but getting equipment is tough, and getting chemicals for experiments is close to impossible. Mr. Sompon asked me many questions: how's it going, how are the students, how are relationships with the staff? We commiserated over the difficulty of learning hundreds of names (he has 7th - 12th!!), discussed how friendships take time to build, and he told me a little more about the farm on campus. In the end, he asked if I could help him learn how to use the computer (Ricks recently had several computers donated, and the teachers are eager to learn how to use them. After several similar requests, AE and I decided we need to have a class for the teachers.) I was happy Mr. Sompon took the time to have a conversation, and it made my day.

Theo Weah. Theo works at the cell tower on campus, and is technically a Cellcom employee. Background: Cellcom is a major cell phone company in Liberia, and put a tower on Ricks' property and in exchange the tower runs a generator which provides "current", aka, electricity, to the campus. The tower is constantly monitored/guarded by Theo and others. We walk past the tower every day on our way to campus, so Theo's is a familiar face. I stopped to talk to him for a while today and learned his daughter is in the fourth grade. He's grateful to be at Ricks and be forming relationships with the people here. His daughter does well, but he is not sure how he will pay for her schooling once she reaches junior high. Although Ricks is able to offer free primary education, they have to charge for 7th-12th grade or they can't afford to function. Many scholarships are available, but the cost is still too much for some. He hopes that she will get a scholarship or that some of the guests who come to Ricks will be able to help sponsor his daughter. This was said with sincerity - not in a "OK, so give me money" way. He wants his daughter to succeed and does what he can to encourage her good grades and keep her out of "trouble" (not get pregnant young). It's moments like this I wish I was rich and could say, "don't you worry - she'll go to school!".

A more somber conversation. This morning Olu announced that a former student passed away yesterday. I believe her name was Joan. She was 21. Last year she was in the 9th grade when she caught the chicken pox. She dealt with a series of health problems and eventually had to leave school. She was in and out of medical care since, and was starting to feel better. Olu said she even cooked a meal on Sunday. Monday she was readmitted to the hospital and passed away from uknown causes. It was a somber moment in our morning chapel, and Olu took the chance to remind students to make the most of life. Essentially, carpe diem! Seize the day!

What conversations have touched your heart?

1 comment:

  1. OH HOlly everyone of them, how could you choose,you are teaching us (that follow you) that the world really does belong to God and we should look out for all people (thank-you for this). Please do more of these stories as well as the regular( you have time lol) but most of all your Pic's tell a storie too, I make it up as I read the note's my favorite pastime now. Praying for you and AE.

    ReplyDelete