Sunday, March 7, 2010

Monrovia: An International Hotspot

OK, I admit - Monrovia isn't quite up there with the ranks of NYC or Brussels as an international destination.  However, when you find yourself in Monrovia, you quickly realize you are not just amongst Liberians; Monrovia is actually home to many ex-pats who find themselves in Liberia for numerous and varied reasons.  The last couple weekends I've been reminded of this, so I thought I would share some of my experiences of the international atmosphere in in Liberia. 

When we come in to Monrovia to visit our friends and stay the weekend, I often feel like I have briefly stepped back into the US and American life.  I suddenly find myself surrounded by people who talk with southern accents, lament the absence of Chik-Fil-a, tell jokes that take advantage of our shared cultural knowledge and understanding of subtleties like sarcasm, and food that can't be classified as anything but southern home-cooking.  It's a funny experience because it's comforting and familiar, yet at the same time is a little odd to encounter in Liberia.  These are some of my American international moments - I think they both help me keep my sanity and help me embrace and appreciate Liberia knowing I'll be back to full immersion in American life soon enough!

American culture is definitely not the only one we experience in Liberia.  Last weekend we had the opportunity to go to a primarily Lebanese party.  A friend in town was close with several of the people hosting this party (a goodbye party for a couple preparing to leave), so we were invited by extension.  When we first arrived at the party we experienced that initial awkwardness that comes with going to a party where you don't know anyone except the people you arrived with.  After a few minutes however, we quickly started making friends.  There is a strong Lebanese presence here in Liberia, and many of the more prominent businesses, hotels, restaurants, etc., are Lebanese owned.  So, we would meet someone and ask what they do, and the response would often be, "oh, we own the ___."  But there was no arrogance or elitism in these statements, just matter-of-fact information.  After some time a little dance circle formed (you know, everyone in a circle, one or two people pulled in the middle at a time).  We thought for sure the people there didn't know us well enough to pull us in - we were wrong, and had lots of fun dancing with our new friends.  Later, people began to throw one another in the pool with all their clothes on - luckily they didn't know us quite well enough to do that ;)  Throughout the evening we met lots of new friends, including the Lebanese ambassador to Liberia and the head of Consular Services at the American Embassy.  It was a fun party filled with laughter and fun!

This weekend our American friends were having a party at their apartment compound as an early celebration for 2 people's birthdays.  All of the people working for their company were invited in addition to an assortment of other friends.  Throughout the evening we met people from the US, Liberia, Turkey, Nigeria, Algeria, the Philippines, and Ireland.  It was quite the party too - food from lots of different cultures (pizza, zatar, Texas caviar, ice cream, chicken wings, hummus, and a WHOLE pig) and a live band.  The Liberian band did covers of everything from Michael Jackson to Garth Brooks to popular Liberian music.  Everyone just danced and ate and had a great time.

I came to Liberia expecting to experience one new culture - the Liberian culture.  This is definitely the culture I have experienced most thoroughly, and I am so grateful for that.  At the same time, I am grateful for the glimpses of other cultures I have been afforded through my time here in Liberia and the friendships I have been able to form with people from so many different places.  I think we have much to learn from one another, especially those coming from ways of life different than our own, and I am thankful to be learning a little more each day.   

No comments:

Post a Comment