Saturday, June 5, 2010

Musical Reflections

There are a couple of songs I've been listening to recently that have inspired me in one way or another, so I thought I would take a few minutes to share some of the lyrics/my thoughts with you all.

The first is a song entitled "Further the Sky" by The Gabe Dixon Band.  The first time I listened to it, I thought it rather pessimistic; but the more I listened, the more I found the lyrics to be honest and truthful.  The chorus goes as follows:

"The higher you reach
     the further the sky,
The more miles you walk
     the longer the road,
The steeper you climb
     the farther you stand to fall,
The stronger you get
     the heavier the load."

At first, the message I heard from these words was "the more you do, the more you have to do," like trying to climb your way out of quicksand.  But as I mulled over these words (this song was stuck in my head for days!), I realized the truth this song spoke to me, especially as it relates to my work here in Liberia.  I came with naive ambition and a "change the world" mindset.  "All my students will pass!"  "A new love of math will emerge among the junior high students at Ricks!"  Yet my frustration grew deep as students failed and seemed unmotivated at times.  The more I do, the more I realize there is to be done.  It's not that my work is creating more work; my work is simply opening my eyes up to the needs that have been present all along that I was unable to see before.  The more I get to know Liberia, the more I understand her problems; the more I understand her problems, the more realistically I can think about the solutions and the obstacles that stand in the way of achieving those.  But through all that, I don't think the message is to stop reaching, walking, climbing, or getting stronger - I think the message is to continue doing those things knowing that you will never be "finished" but instead appreciating the journey that the pursuit of the sky leads you on. 

I'm not sure if I'm making sense, but I hope I am!  This next song is more straight-forward.  Just as Gabe Dixon points out that we might not ever achieve the goal we're striving for, Carrie Underwood reminds me that any change, even the smallest, is worth making.  In the song "Change" Carrie Underwood says the following:

"Do you tell yourself -
     'You're just a fool, just a fool to believe you can change the world?'
Don't listen to them when they say,
     'You're just a fool, just a fool to believe you can change the world.'
The smallest thing can make all the difference,
     Love is alive
Don't listen to them when they say,
     'You're just a fool, just a fool to believe you can change the world.'"

Some people do think me naive, a fool even, for believing that this world can change.  I do believe that our generation has the opportunity to end extreme poverty (defined as living on less than $1 or $2 a day, depending on which definition you use).  I believe it is possible to actually transform the world so no one has to watch their child die of diarrhea or chicken pox or hunger.  I don't want to go off on a tangent here, but if you don't believe me, read "The End of Poverty" by Jeffrey Sachs and let me know what you think.  The point is, I believe that each and every individual, no matter where they are in the world or in life, can make a difference.  We can all change the world.  And I won't listen to them when they say I'm a fool for believing this is true.

I'm not fooling myself either - I recognize there are tremendous obstacles that lie in the way.  I've experienced throughout this year the challenges that come with trying to change even just a couple hundred lives.  But the effort is worth it.  Even if I have only changed one life this year, and even if that change was only in a small way... well, that's something, and it matters to that one person.  Can you imagine what this world would look like if we ALL did something? 

No comments:

Post a Comment