Saturday, December 26, 2009

How Do You Say That in Liberian?

When I began telling everyone I would be moving to Liberia, there were two main questions people would ask: where is Liberia and what language do Liberians speak.  After showing Liberia on my hand-map of Africa, I would assure people that English is the official language of Liberia, and therefore language would not be a problem.  I knew there would be a fairly thick accent, but I also figured that English is English - no problem.

When I arrived in Liberia, however, I was confronted with the reality that Liberian English often sounded like a foreign language.  I could sit through an entire conversation without having a clue what was being said if people were speaking to one another in unrestrained Liberian English.  Although I would still not say that I am fluent in Liberian English, I think I have come a long way. 

There are some expressions my Liberian friends use that I have come to love, and I thought I would share some of these with you.  It's not nearly as fun when you can't hear it spoken, but at least this will give you a glimpse!

"Small" or "Small Small".  Used in place of "a little bit" or "some."  For example, "let me drink small water" or "give me small small rice".

"Take Exercise".  When I am running, people might say, "ah, you're taking small exercise" (see - another use of small!) or someone might tell me, "I'm going to take exercise"

"O".  This little letter is added to many, many things.  "Good morning-o" or "Don't bring your family shame-o" (a phrase Olu says often during testing, telling the students not to cheat more or less!).  You can add "O" to almost anything, and it sounds more fun and definitely more Liberian ;)

"Fine."  Used about as much as "good" is used in the US.  When I ask people "how is your day?" the usual response is "fine".  When having a conversation with someone, if I say something they agree with, they might say "fine!" to let me know they agree. 

"Ms. Wegman, please let me go cough/spit/urinate."  This question is asked of me almost daily by my students.  They do not like to cough in class and often tell me they need to go spit (and I almost always say no...).  It is not common to ask to go to the restroom or bathroom... they just say what they need to do - urinate. 

"My stomach is running."  I think this one is pretty self explainatory... it's code for diarrhea. 

"Thank God".  When I say hello or ask someone how they're doing, aside from saying "fine" they also often say "thank God" in response. 

"Plenty."  Still means "a lot", it's just used more often and in different ways than I'm used to.  If I give a lot of problems on a quiz and my students think there are too many, I might hear, "Ms. Wegman, the problems, they were plenty."

"Plastic."  Plastic grocery bags are just called plastic... so when we had left over food after a dinner out with the basketball girls, they were given a plastic bag with their leftovers... there's a long funny story with this, but I often heard said, "she stole my plastic!" 

"High/Low Blood."  High or low blood pressure.  "She had to go to the hospital because she has high blood."

"Big Belly."  Pregnant.  The other day I heard "Plenty cow have big belly" meaning several cows were pregnant.

Alright, I think that's a good sampling for now... I wish you all in the States who haven't heard Liberian English could come hang out and hear it... but I'll give you my best imitation when I get home if you don't make it over here :)

No comments:

Post a Comment