Saturday, August 8, 2009

Looking toward Liberia

I've been spending this weekend at the beach with my family, and as I look out over the water, I can't help but wonder what awaits me across another big body of water. Yes, I do realize Texas is what lies across the gulf... but work with me, I was trying to have big life thoughts.

It's hard to believe that in less than 2 weeks I will be in Liberia. I recently finished reading "A Long Way Gone", and Ishmael Beah (the author) tells many stories of all his walking through Sierra Leone, how many days journey lie between one village and the next, etc. So it seems to me that I should have some sort of arduous journey to get to Ricks. Yes, we do have about 25 hours of travel to get to Monrovia, but it's all on planes with in-flight movies and meals. It just seems somehow absurd that we can leave here one day and then the next find ourselves in Liberia. Africa. Just like that. It sounds silly, but think about it... it's pretty amazing.

I'm steadily working my way through Ellen Johnson Sirleaf's (Liberia's president) autobiography right now, and am learning so much about Liberia, its people, and its history by doing so. I've been intending to write a Liberian history blog entry for a while now, and finally feel like I have some of the tools with which I can do that at this point. But honestly, I'm pretty tired at the moment (hard work lying on the beach all day!), so that will have to be my next entry :)

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited for you and (worried ) you are so brave, but I know you always do your homework and are one of the braveist people I know,I look forward to following you across the world as your adventure begins, have fun, stay safe, good health and God speed.

    ReplyDelete